This information will stroll you thru making a bootable installer for macOS Catalina on a USB flash drive for the aim of putting in Catalina on a hackintosh appropriate laptop.
- Catalina downloaded from the Mac App Retailer
- 16GB+ USB Flash Drive – Catalina installer is barely bigger than 8GB and so a 16GB or bigger flash drive is required.
- Pc operating macOS – Entry to a macOS is required to create a flash drive installer of Catalina. For those who don’t have an current hackintosh or a Mac the choice is to put in macOS with a digital machine on home windows or borrow a Mac from pal or household.
Half 1: Transferring Catalina Installer to USB
To get a working Catalina installer onto a USB flash drive it should first be formatted right into a scheme that enables for an EFI Partition.
Step 1: Formatting the USB Drive
With the intention to create a bootable macOS installer the USB flash drive should be formatted as Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled) which can add a second hidden EFI partition wanted to create a boot loader.
- Insert a USB Flash Drive
- Open Disk Utility
- Choose the Flash Drive on the left column
- Click on Erase
- Set the next settings:
- Title: Hackintosher
- Format: Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled)
- Scheme: GUID Partition Map
- Click on Erase
- Click on Executed upon end
Step 2: Transferring the Catalina Installer
Afterwards the the Catalina Installer downloaded from the Mac App Retailer is able to be positioned on the USB drive utilizing Terminal.
- Confirm Set up macOS Catalina is within the /Functions folder
- Open Terminal by means of highlight or launchpad
- Paste the next into Terminal coming into your password if prompted:
Catalina 10.15 Public Launch:
sudo /Functions/Set up macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Sources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Hackintosher /Functions/Set up macOS Catalina.app --nointeraction
Catalina Beta Launch:
sudo /Functions/Set up macOS Catalina Beta.app/Contents/Sources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Hackintosher /Functions/Set up macOS Catalina Beta.app --nointeraction
- Don’t shut Terminal, the installer will switch over slowly and may take awhile particularly in case you are utilizing USB 2 bus speeds
Half 2: Configuring EFI Partition for a Catalina Hackintosh
We’ll now mount the hidden EFI Partition created when the flash drive was formatted.
Mount EFI Partition
- Obtain Clover Configurator
- Open Clover Configurator
- Choose Mount EFI beneath TOOLS
- Click on Mount Partition for Set up macOS….
- Click on Open Partition (That is the place the EFI Folder will go)
Create or Obtain a EFI Folder
An EFI folder will be created with both Clover or OpenSource.
The identical EFI folder that labored in Mojave could not work in Catalina with out adjustments for compatibility.
If you’re not conversant in the necessities to make a working Catalina EFI bootloader then you could use the preconfigured EFI folder accessible right here: